Sunday, January 17, 2010

YOBC- 1/17/10

Today was the second rehearsal of YOBC. The spring semester.
And we especially worked on the song "Mountain Spring" by Dean Marshall. I hate Dean Marshall. Or this piece anyway. Before the semester started I was really excited for this song. It sounded really cool (I looked for it on YouTube). But, in reality, it's a night mare. Because of these three things.
1.Both the first and second violin has divisi. So basically each of the twelve violinists have their own part. Also, an effect of this would be that the music is really small. I literally have to strain my eyes to see the music clearly and be able to decipher each note.
2.This may just be me: I sit on the outside, and the outside gets to play the top, which is the none melodic part. It's A's then B's and then a little movement, then it goes back to the A's and B's. So much for sitting on the outside.
3. This song is fast and rhythms are corrupt. Instead of putting in quarter notes they put in tied eighths, that on top of the really small notes is really terrible.
The only good thing is that second violin (us) has the melody for about half the page and it's really exciting. The song really reminds me of spring, it's really flow-y and cheerful.
The other cool song would be by our very own: MICHAEL FLYNN!!!!!! He wrote this piece and I bet it was inspired by "Mountain Spring". It's also very cheerful. The part I like about it the best is the several measures that reflects the spring storms. The song is all happy go lucky, then subtly turns into a horrifying storm, then goes back to the I feel like I wanna skip and sing mood.
That's the way that I feel about the two more exciting songs that Philharmonia, Spring 2010 will be playing. The other songs are pretty exciting too. One song is the Mozart Fantasie. I, personally, like it more than all the other pieces because it's by the best composer of all time, I don't think I need to say the awesome word, because it's part of the awesome title, of hte awesome song. The song is a compilation of several different _______ pieces. One at a piu mosso speed, another at moderato. It's very, really cool. The other piece is "The Red Pony" from the film suite by Aaron Copland. I think it sounds basically like Copland took a handful of notes and just threw them on the page. From a mile away, with fierce winds, that's how wild the piece is. The time signatures look and sound like an invention that went terribly wrong. There is a 6/8 rhythm, which means that there are 6 eighth notes in a measure, and then there's a 5/4 time signature. Which is 5 quarter notes in a measure. That's CRAZY!!!!

Sidenote: No one writes music like that, it's torture to the musicians!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment